
It is no secret to anyone that I’m dreaming of doing and trying to become an Ironman sometime in the future. That bug got a hold of me some years ago (I attending and actually worked a booth at Ironman Canada in 1999) and it’s been in the back of my mind for while. Every now and then it comes back strong and though I’m committed to running for some more years (want to see what I can actually do) it’s on my mind nearly every day. I’m in complete awe of those athletes. Truly amazing. What the top athletes do has puzzled many a researcher over the years. They can’t figure out how their bodies allow them to go that fast, over that long. Now having done well in two of the three disciplines, and with the strong desire to ride more again has me thinking about jumping in the pool more often. But I know the time commitment it takes to do well, and I really can’t see that happening for years to come, so I’ll stay a fan. Waiting for the New York Marathon to start, I spoke with a couple guys fresh off the world championships. One was from France and the other was an American who both posted incredible times there. Also a former 2 time world champion has been taking my brother Adam’s Online Pilot Ground School so we’ve traded some emails. Pretty cool!
If you ever need some inspiration, watch a video of the world championships from Kona. Who could not be moved by the experience? Tanya and I watched the 2007 World Championship video last weekend and were both fighting tears. The video producers know how to put inspiration stories with triumphal music to make you want to cry. I watch the videos over and over and am moved every time. If you ever need a pick-me-up, watch them! Ironman becomes much more than a race and really is used as a metaphor for overcoming horrible circumstances. It’s about one step at a time towards the path set out for us.
If you ever need some inspiration, watch a video of the world championships from Kona. Who could not be moved by the experience? Tanya and I watched the 2007 World Championship video last weekend and were both fighting tears. The video producers know how to put inspiration stories with triumphal music to make you want to cry. I watch the videos over and over and am moved every time. If you ever need a pick-me-up, watch them! Ironman becomes much more than a race and really is used as a metaphor for overcoming horrible circumstances. It’s about one step at a time towards the path set out for us.
No comments:
Post a Comment