Thursday, December 13, 2007

Offerings

“Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering.” Romans 12

Could you imagine how you your life would look different if you actually believed and obeyed this? I’m really trying to focus on these words and trying to get that to translate to the heart. Often I’ve struggled in my sports to know if I what I’m spending so much time even matters.

I think that’s common of course, not just for sports, but for anything we do in our daily life. How can the mundane, the routine be important? We can make it important to ourselves, but to the bigger picture, does it matter? Does what I’m doing benefit others? Or we could also swing the other way and believe that what I’m doing has no importance at all. How hard would you be willing to work for something like that?

If you are supposed to offer what you are doing, you would only bring your best. You would do nothing with a half effort. You would also believe that what you are doing IS important and has a purpose and it’s not always up to you to know what that is. Only your best would cut it.

I’m trying to take this attitude into 2008 with my running but also the other things I do. I think it would make me a lot more willing to sacrifice, work harder and give my best. Running is opening up so many cool opportunities, and I think this all works together. It’s not up to me to control the big picture (and race results) but it is up to me to give my best in whatever I’m doing.

No comments: