
Winter has hit our area harsher and sooner then I can ever remember. Manitoba has been in stuck in a deep freeze the last two weeks with snow on at least half the days. You can tell many are nervous that this winter will be the longest one ever. Often we are spared during the month of December from anything to harsh but not this year.
I’m slowly starting to ramp up my training to get my legs going again. It took about 4 weeks to feel ok on a run. The legs always felt heavy and without any spring. I’ve done just short recovery runs without any real effort. I’m slowly ramping up the time spent on the feet so I can by January 1st, I’m good to go for 2008. I’m planning on laying a huge base during the winter months so I’m hoping the worse weather is happening now.
Dreadmills, ahh, no Treadmills are just not something I enjoy, though I will be running on one a few times a week this winter. It’s very hard to run at any quick speed on ice, snow, and cold so I plan to at least get some tempo work done one a treadmill.
I had planned for an hour of running this morning, and was faced with a dilemma. Weather at 7 am was -27 with a -36 wind chill, so it looked like a good day to get inside and run, but somehow I just could not do it. I put on 4 layers and headed out and it wasn’t that bad. A few years of this and I think I’ve figured out the good layering techniques and tricks. I also went out because I think it will give me strength later. It really doesn’t get much colder than this, so if I go now, when I’m not taking things to serious, I should be very prepared when I am. Weather will not get the best of me.
I’m slowly starting to ramp up my training to get my legs going again. It took about 4 weeks to feel ok on a run. The legs always felt heavy and without any spring. I’ve done just short recovery runs without any real effort. I’m slowly ramping up the time spent on the feet so I can by January 1st, I’m good to go for 2008. I’m planning on laying a huge base during the winter months so I’m hoping the worse weather is happening now.
Dreadmills, ahh, no Treadmills are just not something I enjoy, though I will be running on one a few times a week this winter. It’s very hard to run at any quick speed on ice, snow, and cold so I plan to at least get some tempo work done one a treadmill.
I had planned for an hour of running this morning, and was faced with a dilemma. Weather at 7 am was -27 with a -36 wind chill, so it looked like a good day to get inside and run, but somehow I just could not do it. I put on 4 layers and headed out and it wasn’t that bad. A few years of this and I think I’ve figured out the good layering techniques and tricks. I also went out because I think it will give me strength later. It really doesn’t get much colder than this, so if I go now, when I’m not taking things to serious, I should be very prepared when I am. Weather will not get the best of me.
No comments:
Post a Comment